Thursday, June 30, 2005

The world of royalty-free.

Call it generous. Or restless. Or simply wanting to take my craft to the next level.

Whatever the case, I recently decided to offer some of my better works to a free stock phototography website.



I was a little apprehensive at first, considering,
1) You never really know where your hard work will end up;
2) You possibly may not get the credit rightly due you, and;
3) Who am I kidding, it's gratis--when you could be making money for it.

After much debate, and spending huge amounts of time admiring the site's photos and studying the art, I figured, what the hey, how else am I going to get my work outside of this Filipino network? My world now is way too small to be contented with the little that I've done. Besides, other stock photo sites charge fees just to be a member. I have to do this if I wanna get anywhere with my camera.

Sure enough I signed up and submitted--Oh, I don't know--a good thirty photos, maybe? Fortunately, nine of my work have now been approved, while the other twenty-somethings are still pending. You see, a group of administrators reviews your work and chooses which ones get to go on the site. This process takes a while since Lord knows how many hundreds of images they check everyday. Once it's online though, fellow photographers then rate your photos and leave comments based on your techinique, composition or whatnot. You'll also be able to track how many people download your photos, while being able to dictate your usage restrictions.

I tell you, it's exhilirating to find a Photo Permission Request on my inbox. Gone are the days when all you looked forward to were Friendster requests. hahaha. It just warms the heart to know that your work has caught the fancy of some bloke on the other side of the world.

Like the request I got this morning for this picture:
"please, image is for my desktop!thak you"

Aww, he's putting it on his desktop... Now this flattery I like :)

No comments: