Friday, December 03, 2004

Wednesdays with Andy.

I enjoy Wednesday mornings. Bebs and I wake up slightly earlier than usual on this particular day, because at around 7:30, a group of our friends gather at our pad for breakfast and, well, some spiritual rumination. Most often we start out like the walking dead until Bebs brews the coffee and I bust out the toasted waffles. By then we become the busiest, liveliest apartment in San Mateo.

That's not the greatest part, though. The party begins when we sit down for one of Andy Stanley's talks. (This guy is one of the best preachers I have come across. I first heard him speak at a leadership conference two months ago in Atlanta, and we have been listening to his sermons since). Anyway, two waffles, four sausages (or five, if you're quick) and a caffeine-filled system forty minutes later (and maybe some held back tears), we dissect the teaching and discuss how each of our lives can be changed with the wisdom we've just heard. Then the greatest send-off: we lift each other in prayer.

I think more than the good food and the great sermons, I'm glad the Wednesday cell enables us as friends to build each other up in the faith. Since we've begun meeting, I can say I have come to understand them more and appreciate each of them in a much deeper, more intimate sense. And it's encouraging to know that comfort, discovery, and unearthing Truth is a journey you don't have to go through alone. We're all seekers, and I'm glad I am running alongside them.

...I hope this means they won't be laughing at my zits when they see me.

Have a great weekend ahead, folks! Be safe, make someone smile, and do check out Andy's sermons if you're in the mood for introspection. The guy is amazing, and quite funny too.

No comments: