Tuesday, December 21, 2004

A memorable Christmas din-din

Last Sunday was the gang's Christmas dinner at oh so delish Kingfish. I had the most amazing Ribeye steak while Bebs had a knockout Jambalaya. YUM. Prior to dinner, we had prepared an envelope with all our names in it for Kris Kringle, but since some of us had already bought gifts for everyone, we decided to forego manito-manita and use the names for other gimmicks:

1) Round 1: We passed the envelope around, had everyone pick a name, and then had each person mimic the person he/she picked. Major laugh trip! We were reeling in laughter from each other's impersonations. I got Joey, so that was pretty easy (mind you, I have spent months in a tiny 4x4 office with Joe, so I could pretty much mimic the guy. heheh).

2) Round 2: Man, this was a tear-jerker. After dinner, we passed the names again, this time to honor, or show appreciation, to whomever we would pick. Everyone was quite content with the names they had gotten in Round1, but I was particularly adamant about a new rotation (since I knew I would most probably turn on the waterworks). You see, Joe and I have been through a lot as friends and workmates. We've disliked each other, worked on weekends together, taken long drives, trekked different states, fought and cried... yet in the end have remained friends. And just recently, Joe said goodbye to a fulltime stint at work for a more independent role.

So there I was, actually having succeeded in getting the group to pick a new batch, when for some reason they all decide to just stick to the old names. To make matters worse, some of them who spoke before I did got emotional and said nice touching things... And the big lump in my throat told me I was definitely in deep trouble.

So my turn came. And true enough I bawled like a baby. Hahah. Told Joey how I was going to miss him. And in so many words said, that despite our fights and misunderstandings, I had grown to appreciate him as a true friend. And poor Joe had to compose himself lest he broke down like I did. But he overcame (after 2 minutes of pure effort and silence), and in turn honored Bebs, who also cried shamelessly. heheh.

Sigh. That was a good night. I love my friends and I'm grateful that despite the absence of my family, I have them to celebrate Christmas with. I hope no one will ever have to be lonely this special season.


Bebs and me awaiting the Ribeye. ;)


The whole gang at the amazing Kingfish Restaurant.


Aww, best friends forever (Hey, is that a yamukah on JJ? heheh).


After a sumptious dinner. Merry Christmas!

No comments: